Preserving fruits, vegetables, and herbs is a great way to enjoy the harvests throughout the year.
You can preserve fruits and vegetables by dehydrating, canning, freezing, fermentation, or even air drying. This post is a round-up of preserving posts from Family Food Garden. I will continue to add recipes as time goes on.
Preserving Fruit Recipes
Preserving fruit is often by freezing or making jam. You can also dehydrate fruit, although I haven’t done much of that yet. Here are the fruit preserving recipes I’ve made so far, including a couple of fruit wine recipes.
- Canning peaches in sugar or honey syrup
- Vanilla Peach Jam recipe for home canning
- Pumpkin Spiced Peach Sauce
Preserving Garden Vegetables
One thing to keep in mind when canning vegetables is that many are low acid and need to be pressure canned. With tomatoes you can add citric acid or vinegar in the case of salsa. There are some great preserving books that will guide you along with that!
- Canning Fresh Tomato Salsa – Two Great Recipes!
- Tomato Sauce Canning Recipe – Preserving Tomatoes
- How to Cut Leeks & Freezing Leeks
- Canning Zucchini Bread & Butter Pickles
- How to preserve banana peppers
- How to Freeze Zucchini & Summer Squash
- Canning Jalapenos into Red Pepper Jelly (using Cranberries)
- Preserve Peppers: Canning, Dehydrating, Ferment or Freezing
- How to Use & Preserve Celery Leaves
Preserve Herbs and Flowers
- Freeze Basil in Oil Cubes
- Dry Calendula Flowers & Make Calendula Oil
- How to Easily Preserve Arugula (Roquette or Rocket)
- Grow a Herbal Tea Garden & Making Sun Tea
- Harvesting & Freezing Elderberries
- Edible Rose Petal Recipes
- Useful edible Flowers: Recipes & Medicinal Flowers
Do you have any favorite way or recipes to preserve the harvest?