The smell of a real Christmas tree is amazing.
The smell of a real tree makes the whole house smell like the holidays. Every December we’ve made it a family tradition to head to the forest and find ourselves a real Christmas tree. There are certain trees that have a stronger scent than others.
If you have an artificial tree you won’t have that lovely fresh evergreen tree scent in your home unless you create it
There are ways to create that
Natural Christmas tree smell
One of the easiest ways to help create that lovely tree smells is to use essential oils. There are many essential oils derived from trees and you can diffuse, create a mist for your tree or even add them to your tree ornaments.
I highly recommend essential oils over the chemical sprays, plug-ins and perfume scented products to reduce the toxicity level in your home.
It’s also better for your health, family members & the earth.
Which essential oils create the best Christmas tree scents?
Best ‘Christmas Tree Smelling’ Essential Oils :
Any of the evergreen trees create a wonderful tree scent, however, some are stronger than others.
When getting a real tree or creating that scent,
Balsam Fir is the #1 Christmas tree smell
- Balsam Fir (top choice)
- White fir or Siberian fir
- Douglas Fir
- Holiday blends (see my fav tree mix below! It’s called Holiday Peace)
I LOVE LOVE LOVE
the Holiday Peace Blend!
Holiday Peace with the calming aromas of three firs—Siberian, Douglas, and Himalayan— complimented by Grapefruit, Frankincense, and Vetiver. Embrace the soothing aroma of these fir oils, reminiscent of wintertime traditions.
Holiday Peace will help you find the calm during your busy holiday season
Ways to use Essential Oils to Create a Christmas Smelling Home
- Add Essential Oil to Tree Ornaments. Softer fabric like ornaments are perfect for adding a drop or two of essential oils. You could also mist your ornaments with the winter fresh spray.
- DIY Room Spray: This recipe uses Douglas Fir, Frankincense and Grapefruit. You can buy the oils from me here.
- Make Scented Pine Cones. Mix essential oils in a spray bottle with some water. Spray the pine cones with the scented water and seal the cones in a plastic bag. They’re ready after 24 hours to decorate your tree or home with.
- Diffuse Essential Oils. I love diffusing essential oils in our home. It adds a wonderful atmosphere with natural scent (yay for no chemicals!). Around the holidays I love diffusing HolidayJoy, a mix of Wild Orange, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Clove with the
fresh and airy scent of Siberian and Douglas Fir. You can buy it from me here.
- Clean with Essential Oils! Pine is a great oil for adding to homemade cleaners
- Scent Ball: This natural plug-in is great for adding some aromatherapy to your home, just add a few drops of essential oils & plug in.
- Make Aromatherapy Candles: Choose evergreen scents and add them to your homemade candles. Beeswax or Soy is best to use as they don’t contain petroleum (learn how to make them here). By making your own and using essential oils you’re not using artificial smells and fragrances.