Tomatoes are one of the most popular homegrown crops and for many good reasons!
The taste of homegrown tomatoes surpasses any bland tomato from the grocery store, there are hundreds of unique varieties to choose from, and they offer excellent dollar value because they’re expensive to buy.
Growing tomatoes can be more challenging so it helps to have some understanding of how to take care of your plants, how to trellis and prune, and how to deal with pests and diseases.
Because tomatoes are so popular you can find tomato seeds from every seed company! You’ll definitely enjoy growing your tomatoes from seeds!
Here’s a fantastic list of resources of everything you need to know about growing & preserving tomatoes plus some recipes at the end!
Tips on Growing Tomatoes
- Plant your tomato plant in a place with 10 hours of direct sunlight.
- Have enough space between plants for air flow.
- Soak the base of your tomato plants once a week or more during those hot summer days.
- Pinch and remove suckers that develop in the crotch joint of two branches.
- Use a tomato cage to support your plants.
- When your tomato plant reaches 3ft, remove the leaves from the bottom 1ft of the plant.
- When your tomatoes start to ripen, it’s time to scratch around the bottom and add some compost.
- Pinching off the tops of the main stems and intermediate varieties in early summer to encourage more energy going into flowering.
- Check for tomatoes hornworms (striped caterpillars). Pick those pests up and destroy them.
- Pick your tomatoes when they are full size and ripe, but still firm.
More Tomato Growing Tips
- 10 Tomato growing tricks even you can understand
- Grow tomatoes from seed: save money get more varieties
- How to grow tomatoes organically: 7 steps for success
- How to transplant tomatoes
- Grow a salsa garden
- Heirloom tomato reviews
- How to plant tomatoes for strong growth
- How to grow tomatoes in abundance
- Tomato math- how many plants is enough
- 5 Tomato tricks you need to start doing
- Grow tomatoes upside down
- How to grow so many tomatoes in so little space
- Growing tomatoes from seed to harvest
- Growing tomatoes: 10 tips
- Tomato companion plants
- Epsom salts for tomatoes
- Growing tomatoes on a balcony
- How to fertilize your tomatoes
Growing Tomatoes on Trellises
- The best tomato trellises
- What to do about tomato suckers
- How to prune your tomatoes
- To prune or not prune your tomatoes
- Two Great Recipes for Canning Fresh Salsa
- Home canned salsa
- Spaghetti sauce for canning
- 2 Homemade Ketchup Recipes – Home Canned and Lacto-Fermented
- Home canned tomato soup
- Roasted tomato pizza sauce
- Tomato canning tips
- Canning salsa
- How to quickly & easily peel tomatoes
- Seasoned tomato sauce for home canning
- How to preserve tomatoes in small batches
- Preserve the harvest tomato chutney
- Save those green tomatoes for chow chow
- Preserving tomatoes as salsa
- How to make tomato powder
- Stop throwing away free tomato sauce!
- Tomato canning quick reference chart
- How to peel a lot of tomatoes fast
- Many more ways to preserve them
- How to store tomatoes in the fall
- How to make tomato powder
- The easy way to preserve cherry tomatoes
- 40+ ways to preserve your tomatoes
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Seasonal tomato recipes
- Roasted tomato soup
- Lacto fermented green tomatoes
- Fermented grape tomato
- Crockpot tomato sauce
- Zucchini noodles with roast garlic & tomatoes
- The perfect fresh tomato marinara sauce
- Tomato sauce from the scrap bowl
- Garden fresh salsa
- Healthy tomato recipes & cooking tips
- Fresh tomato recipes
- Healthy tomato recipes
Tomato Pests and Diseases
- 4 Reasons your tomatoes are not ripening
- What to do when late blight strikes your tomatoes
- Tomato pests & disease
- Troubleshooting tomato problems
- How to ripen your tomatoes indoors
- Common mistakes growing tomatoes in containers
- Tomato hornworms
- Preventing blossom end rot in tomatoes
- Preventing late blight in tomatoes