Spring can make you feel so renewed after a long winter
It’s time to air out the house again, tackle all those hard to clean areas of the home and plant your garden.
However a lot of cleaners, even the ones that I’ve seen labelled as ‘natural’ are often full of chemicals.
That’s not clean in my opinion!
Why make your own homemade cleaners?
- Safe for you and your family
- Easy on the pocket
- Highly effective
- Environmentally friendly
Must-Have Basics for home cleaning recipes
- BAKING SODA
Absorbs and eliminates odor. Use to clean countertops, sinks, and tubs. Sprinkle some baking soda on your carpet and vacuum after 15 minutes for a fresher look and feel.
- WHITE VINEGAR
Contains natural antifungal and antibacterial properties. Cuts grease and dissolves mineral deposits.
- CASTILE SOAP
Lifts dirt, cuts grease, and eliminates tough stains. Pour a small amount over baking sheets and pans then scrub for a few minutes, and you’ll have clean, shiny results.
Salt is an effective scouring agent. Pour salt mixed with hot water down the kitchen sink regularly to deodorize and keep grease from building up. Mix salt with Lemon essential oil and use to remove stubborn coffee and tea cup stains.
- doTERRA FRACTIONATED COCONUT OIL or OLIVE OIL
Great natural cleaner and polisher. Rub it into leather or polish wood surfaces.
BEST ESSENTIAL OILS FOR CLEANING
Here are some of the best essential oils for cleaning. ( You can get them from me here. )
- Wild Orange
- Douglas Fir
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree)
- Purify Cleansing Blend
- doTERRA On Guard® Protective Blend
- doTERRA On Guard Cleaner Concentrate
Tip: Replace toxic air fresheners with a diffuser
(I use the Petal Diffuser from doTerra).
PINE FLOOR CLEANER
- 1 gallon warm water
- 2 tablespoon liquid castile
- Use 5 drops Douglas Fir essential oil
- Add 5 drops White Fir essential oil
- 5 drops Cypress essential oil
- 10 drops Lemon essential oil
- Add soap and essential oils to bucket of warm water.
- Use mop or rag to clean floors.
- Pour into a spray bottle for cleaning countertops.Note: This solution does not need to be rinsed off.
ALL-PURPOSE CLEANING SPRAY
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 25 drops Wild Orange essential oil or other essential oil of choice
- In a spray bottle, combine water and vinegar.
- Add essential oil(s) of choice. Shake well.
- Use on counters, wood, glass, stainless steel, and porcelain.
- Wipe with a microfiber cloth or paper towel.
- 16-ounce spray bottle
- 1 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 8 drops of any citrus oil of your choice (could use Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Wild Orange, or a combination)
Add vinegar, water, and essential oil(s) to spray bottle and shake. You are ready to clean!
“LIME” SCALE REMOVER
- ½ cup Baking Soda
- 3 tablespoons water
- 10 drops Lemon essential oil
- 10 drops Lime essential oil
- And water and essential oils to baking soda.
- Mix into a paste.
- Rub a small amount onto surface.
- Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Wipe off with wet cloth.
If you have a diffuser here are some spring diffuser blends