As a Canadian gardener, I buy a lot of Canadian seeds.
Because I live in B.C. I personally grow a lot from West Coast Seeds. It was there gardening guide (free) that helped my gardener self over 10 years ago. I’ve shared some of my favorite seed companies before, but today I wanted to focus on Canada.
I also grow a lot from U.S companies because the majority of my readers are from the U.S. and I like to share certain varieties. But it’s great to support seeds from your local area.
No matter where you’re gardening, there are some great Canadian seed companies.
Best Canadian Seed Companies
- West Coast Seeds (B.C coast)
- Heritage Harvest Seeds (Sask)
- Salt Spring Seeds (B.C coast)
- Hawthorn Farm Organic Seeds (Ontario)
- Prairie Garden Seeds (Alberta)
- Richters (Ontario)
- Annapolis seeds (Nova Scotia)
- Halifax Seeds (Nova Scotia)
- Pacific Northwest Seeds (B.C)
- Aimer’s Organics (Ontario)
- BC Eco Seed Co-op (collection of B.C )
- Terra Edibles (Ontario)
- Incredible Seed Company (Nova Scotia)
- Bird and Bee (Ontario, super cute site!)
- Cochrane Family Seeds (Alberta)
- Sunshine Farm (B.C)
- Eagle Ridge Seeds (BC Island)
- Florabunda Seeds (Ontario)
- Wild Rose Heritage Seeds (Alberta)
- Harmonic Herbs (Alberta)
Why should a Canadian Gardener Choose Canadian seeds?
Canada has a widespread difference in weather and seasonal trends. If you can find a local seed company that’s growing in a similar climate to you, the plants are adapted to your region. This can be especially important if you’re in a cold short growing season.
I will say that many of the Canadian seed companies that I have purchased from sadly seem to have gone out of business. We had a great local seed company Stellar Seeds for example. I couldn’t find the Cottage Gardener anymore either. I’ve only grown seeds from a small amount of Canadian seeds, but I tried to find as many as I could. I couldn’t find any seed companies for the northern Canadian territories ( I tried!).
If you have a seed company that you love PLEASE let me know in the comments & I’ll add them to the list 🙂
Also these seeds are for vegetables, herbs and flowers. If you google Canadian seeds, you’ll find a lot of weed seeds! So I excluded those from my Canada seed list 😉
What are your favorite Canadian Seeds?