Family Food Garden may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
I love essential oils and once I started using them more often I started hearing a lot of buzz online about two big essential oil companies: doTERRA & Young Living.
Now trying to choose ONE company after sorting through all the online soap opera was crazy. I’m surprised I didn’t just walk away, however I heard such great things about these oils and I wanted to build up some stay at home mama income so I continued on.
I ended up trying and using BOTH companies oils.>
This DoTERRA vs Young Living review will:
- not bash any of these companies nor get into any politics
- be completely honest, and unlike many reviews online, I’ve used BOTH oils for at least a year.
What is the best essential oil company?
There are many essential oil companies out there, two of the largest ones are Young Living and doTERRA. They’ve grown so much because they care a lot about oil purity. Some questions to ask before choosing an oil company are:
- Are you wanting protecting blends for family health support?
- Do you care about where your products come from?
- Do you care about price?
- Are you interested in building a home business with essential oils?
- Are you just cleaning the floor and adding them to homemade cleaners?
Truth is there are cheaper options for essential oils than Young Living + doTERRA. What makes these companies claim they have the best essential oils?
If you notice any of your purchasing habits, do you know where it came from? How it got to you? How it was grown?
- Both these companies show you where they grow their plants and how they bottle their oils. doTERRA has the Co-Impact Sourcing and Young Living has Seed to Seal.
- They spend a lot of time and money to make sure they are paying fair wages because many essential oils come from 3rd world countries.
- Extra charity work: doTERRA has the Healing Hands Foundation & Young Living has done charity here.
- These companies test their oils for quality and are heavily involved with the process.
- Both companies offer retail or wholesale purchasing options. This is important if you wish to choose one essential oil company to build up your business. You don’t have to sell with a wholesale account.
So what I’m trying to say is that they BOTH make fantastic oils and have very high standards. They BOTH care about how they source and grow & process their oils.
They both have to because they’re such large companies.
Some differences I noticed about each of the oils.
There are oils I loved from both of them. I’ll tell you which company I chose to buy oils from and why, but I will say that it was a hard decision.
The difference in using doTERRA vs Young Living
I purchased and tried over 30+ oils from both.
In general I found that:
- The scent diffused stronger with doTERRA than Young Living. I really have no idea why but that was my experience. I felt like I was putting drops into my Young Living diffuser and the smell just wasn’t coming through.
- Certain doTERRA oils smell sweeter. This is especially true with the doTERRA blends that have vanilla in them. I also found the citrus oils smelled sweeter than Young Living, for example I loved the YL lemon over the doTERRA one. The majority of the other oils I preferred the doTERRA like Frankincense, Cypress and Breathe.
- Blends like the roll on ‘Clary Calm’ for female ‘that time of the month’ was a fav from doterra. I also love the Balance blend.
- Certain oil blends are very similar: Thieves & on Guard for example. One argument is always ‘so-and-so copied the blends’. Other essential oil companies do the same thing, they come out with oil blends that are meant to target a benefit. This is how aromatherapy works, certain oils offer certain benefits and you can create blends accordingly. Because of this they will contain similar oils. That’s not a reason to choose a company.
So which oils did I prefer after using them?
After using each for a year I’ve up buying doTERRA oils because:
- They are a little bit cheaper, this is important if you use them as often as we do.
- Certain blends I really loved like the Breathe respiratory blend, which is one of our family’s most used oils.
- doTERRA has a better edge with marketing. This was important to me because I wanted to pursue doTERRA with the mind to build a business and oil loving tribe.
- I preferred doTERRA’s starter kits, once again this is important if you want to build a business and recommend a product. That doesn’t mean the diffuser or oils are better, that was my preference.
- More monthly freebies with less spending. Both companies offer free oils if you buy a certain pv (point value). For example, every month doTERRA offers a free oil with 125 pv (pv is close to dollar value, although dollar tends to be higher). Young living offers more oils as freebies but you have to have a much larger order like 190pv or 300pv.
Although Young Living offers more oils ( I almost kept my account open for the Northern Lights Black Spruce because I love it so much) doTERRA ended up being my preference in general after using both oils for a year ( I used Young Living for a year, then doTERRA for 2+ years)
If you’re interested in buying doTERRA oils from me you can at retail or wholesale (keep reading for more!)
How to Order doTerra Essential Oils
There are two purchasing options if you wish to experience these wonderful essential oils:
- 0% discount
- Monthly ordering not required
- No membership required
- You have no obligation to purchase or sell
- BUY Retail Here
- 25% discount on all orders, with a bigger discount on your starter kit
- Monthly ordering not required
- No obligation to purchase or sell
- Ability to earn bonuses and commissions for sharing oils
- $35 membership fee for the first year, kind of like Costco (waived with a starter kit)
- Free 15 ml bottle of peppermint essential oil with renewal
- Regular training and support with our business building websites.
- SUPPORT from an amazing team of women (many are diamond and even blue diamond level!)
- Access to our private team Facebook groups.
- Buy Wholesale HERE
Why a Wholesale Account with Me?
- SUPPORT! This is what our team specializes in!
- Private Facebook groups where you can connect with other members of our team
- Access to our business building websites (IF you wish to make $, there’s NO obligation)
- Exclusive training and coaching videos
Read through these frequently asked questions and answers if you want to learn more about doTERRA and Young Living. We hope the following section helps you!
Q: How many sponsors can I have working for doTERRA?
A: It is possible to have up to four sponsors. Please note that one of your doTERRA sponsors will need to be your mentoring sponsor.
Q: Young Living vs doTERRA; which is best?
A: After testing both companies, I highly recommend doTERRA and feel like it is better for most customers interested in essential oils.
Q: What qualifications should a doTERRA sponsor have?
A: a doTERRA sponsor does not need any special qualifications. You should choose a sponsor that you trust to be available for you and teach you skills that will help you reach your goals.
Q: Can I skip a month on Young Living Essential Rewards?
A: Yes, you can skip one month out of a 12-month cycle. Remember, the Essential Rewards program is optional and available for wholesale members.
Q: Do you need to order monthly to benefit from being a wholesale member?
A: When you order your premium starter kit, you can order your essential oils whenever you need them.
Q: Can Young Living essential oils go bad?
A: No, Young Living essential oils do not go bad. Their essential oils can be used for years without losing their integrity.
Q: What are essential oils?
A: Essential oils are very concentrated liquids that contain plant chemical compounds.
Q: Why are essential oils good for you?
A: Essential oils have many brilliant benefits. One of the main reasons people are attracted to essential oils is because of their mood-lifting qualities. Just one sniff of your favorite essential oil can improve your move.
Another reason people incorporate essential oils into their daily lives is to help relieve certain medical conditions. If you want to use essential oils as a remedy through plant therapy, you should consult a medical professional first.
Q: What has happened to your essential oils if they smell bad?
A: Usually nothing has happened to new essential oils if they smell bad. One reason an oil may not smell good to you is because you simply do not like the smell. Another reason is because it does not go well with the natural smell of your skin.
See the doTERRA starter kits
If you have any other questions feel free to contact me here